Happy Thursday guys! Today’s recipe is Kale & Butternut Squash Quesadillas – grilled flour tortillas stuffed with sweet squash, kale, chickpeas and melted cheese. This was too delicious not to try so put your apron on and let’s get cooking! I promise, it only takes a few minutes, it’s super simple and even more tastier. 🙂
I genuinely love Mexican or Mexican – inspired food and I enjoy experimenting a lot. I’ve tried different versions of burritos and quesadillas (see the links below 🙂 ) but never tried this one in particular. The idea came when I had to get rid of some roasted butternut squash I had in the fridge so I came up with quesadillas. I added some kale, roasted chickpeas, which again were leftovers from another recipe, and lots of cheese. No need to mention I poured half a bottle of hot sauce on my quesadillas. 🙂 But hey, this was Mex – inspired, it should be hot. 🙂
On a second thought, I think some sliced jalapenos would make these quesadillas even more appetizing. Unfortunately, I didn’t have any but next time definitely throwing some in there. 🙂
The quesadillas are amazing for starter but these are so rich they can easily pass as a main. It really depends on how hungry you are. Serve them with some freshly made guacamole, sour cream and of course, hot sauce (for those of you who can handle the heat:-) ). And don’t forget to massage the kale with a bit of olive oil before adding it to the quesadillas. 🙂
Here’s what you need to make these Kale & Butternut Squash Quesadillas
Kale & Butternut Squash Quesadillas
- 300g butternut squash, roasted & cut in pieces
- 100g chickpeas, roasted
- a handful of kale
- 100g mild Cheddar, grated
- 100g Mozzarella, grated
- 4-5 flour tortillas
- Heat a griddle pan and place the tortilla. On half of the tortilla arrange some of the squash, chickpeas & kale and sprinkle some cheese on top. Make sure it's not too much so you can close the wrap.
- Gently close the wrap and press down. Cook for about 5 minutes, turn on the other side for a few minutes and remove from the pan.
- Repeat with the rest of the tortillas.
- Serve with some fresh guacamole, sour cream and/or hot sauce.
Here are some more Mexican – inspired recipes:
Meatless Monday: Black Bean, Roasted Peppers & Feta Cheese Quesadillas
Wild Boar Burritos
Meatless Monday: Black Eyed Bean Vegetarian Burrito
Turkey & Spinach Enchiladas
Easy Steak Fajitas
Turkey Meatball Fajita
Loaded Shrimp Salad
I hope you guys like this recipe. Stay tuned for more quick, easy and delicious recipes coming soon. xx
Happy Wednesday guys! Recipe of the day is Harissa Roasted Chickpeas with Grilled Veggies – a simple but so delicious bowl with lots of flavour and love! 🙂
This time of the year I feel so excited about vegetables! I just love preparing veggie bowls with lots of different vegetables in them and some other goodies, of course. What I’m trying to say is that Summer, for me, equals lots of salads and veggie bowls. 🙂
This one particular was one of these ‘clean my fridge meals’. I used some leftovers I had and vegetables that were about to go off. It turned out quite yummy. Apart from the chickpeas, I added some grilled eggplant, grilled peppers, feta cheese, some wholemeal pita bread and a generous serving of my homemade sun-dried tomato pesto. The pesto is super simple to make – just blitz together sun-dried tomatoes, pine nuts, basil, olive oil and Parmesan, if you’d like (I didn’t use any Parmesan this time). Season with salt and lemon juice and enjoy! Yum! It was quite a lot, to be honest, but I saved some for the next day. 🙂
Also, you can easily make some wraps using the ingredients from the bowl, apart from the pita bread of course. Thy will make a healthy and delicious lunch. 🙂
This recipe is perfect for using up your leftover veggies from your bbq. Just add some feta cheese, chickpeas and this yummy pesto and you’ve got yourself a lovely lunch. 🙂
The chickpeas are cooked with a few spoons of harissa paste. They were absolutely delicious but I was a bit disappointed. I expected them to be quite hot but they turned out just a tiny bit spicy. Next time I should probably use the whole jar. 🙂
Here’s how to make the Harissa Roasted Chickpeas with Grilled Veggies bowl
Harissa Roasted Chickpeas with Grilled Veggies
- 200g chickpeas, roasted
- 2tbsp harissa paste
- 1 eggplant, sliced and grilled
- 2 peppers, grilled
- 1 wholemeal pita bread, cut into pieces
- 100g feta cheese, crumbled
- For the sun-dried tomato pesto"
- 7-8 sun-dried tomatoes
- 7-8 basil leaves
- 50g pine nuts
- 1tsp lemon juice
- 1tbsp olive oil
- You can easily use tinned chickpeas and then gently cook them with the harissa paste for a few minutes. Or roast your chickpeas with some harissa paste. Make sure to stir them occasionally though.
- To make the pesto - simply blitz the ingredients together.
- To arrange the bowl - add the chickpeas, sliced eggplant and peppers, pita chips, some crumbled feta cheese and a spoon of the sun-dried tomato pesto.
I hope you guys like this recipe. Stay tuned for more Summer inspired ones very soon. xx