Happy Friday guys! Today’s recipe is Pumpkin & Chicken Casserole – seriously delicious and comforting one pot meal, just add some freshly baked (lots of it!) bread to it and serve it hot for a tasty heart-warming meal! 🙂
Honestly, I had about half of a bread loaf with this casserole and if I didn’t stop myself I would probably have had the other half too. 🙂 This Pumpkin & Chicken Casserole is just screaming for a delicious bread to soak the tasty juices with. I don’t have such meals very often but now the weather has changed, I’m sure this will change too. I seriously need to improve my self-control skills and be able to stop after having a generous amount though. 🙂 But try to look through my point of view – you get home after a long and exhausting day, haven’t had any food all day, froze yourself off at the park and finally put the kids to bed and…see a pot with hot Pumpkin & Chicken Casserole and freshly baked bread! 🙂 How could you not eat half a loaf of bread with it. 🙂
Well, this was my story (or something like that) about what happened with the Pumpkin & Chicken casserole. Everyone really enjoyed it too! No leftovers and no bread left either. 🙂
So what’s in the casserole – Pumpkin, chicken, celery, Chorizo or any other red sausage and spices. As you can see – really simple, just a few ingredients but the taste is incredible. I can honestly say this has become one of our family’s favourite ‘Winter Warmer’ recipes, for sure.
Here’s how to make the Pumpkin & Chicken Casserole
- 3-4 chicken legs ( or you can get a whole chicken and cut it in 4)
- 1 small pumpkin, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 1 Chorizo/red sausage, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 bay leaves
- 4-5 black peppercorns
- 1tsp allspice
- 1tbsp paprika
- salt to taste
- olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Heat a pan with some olive oil and cook the chicken for about 7-8 minutes on each side. Remove it from the pot and add the onion, garlic, celery, sausage, pumpkin and spices. Gently sweat for about 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and about a pint of water. Put back the chicken legs. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes. If necessary, add more water.
- Place in the oven for an hour.
- Serve with freshly baked bread, if possible.
I hope you guys love this recipe as much as we did. Stay tuned for more quick, easy & tasty recipes coming very soon! Meanwhile, I hope you have an amazing weekend with lots of tasty food! xx