Happy Thursday! Here’s the recipe of the day – Turkey Meatball Pizza!
I even made the dough from scratch! Not that it’s too difficult, it just takes a bit more time but it’s totally worth it. Of course, if you’re time-restraint, you can always use shop bought dough.
So, more about the pizza now..I used Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese, cheery tomatoes, sweet red peppers, black olives and a bit of spinach. I love both meatballs and pizza and the idea of having both in one meal sounded really good. For the base, I simply used flour, yeast and olive oil, really simple, but again a bit time-consuming. I topped dit up with tomato sauce and then arranged all the other ingredients. It was quite loaded pizza, succulent and cheesy, one of my favourite thing to have on movie night. 🙂
And the weekend is just one day away so I might have to make this pizza again. 🙂 I don’t know about you but my weekends go by too quickly, really quickly. It seems the anticipation is so long and then you wake up and it’s Monday again. There’s never enough time to relax, cook, meet with friends, watch movies and have fun with the kids. Seriously, we need an extra weekend day.
Back to the food now…Feel free to add sauces you fancy. I usually add some garlic sauce and of course, lots of hot sauce. But to be honest, this pizza is quite juicy, so you might skip the sauce. But on the other side, meatballs with hot sauce are so tasty. 🙂
Here’s what you need to make the Turkey Meatball Pizza
- 4-5 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 5-6 cherry tomatoes, cut in halves
- 100g Mozzarella cheese, grated
- 100g Parmesan cheese, grated
- 10 black olives
- a handful of fresh spinach
- For the Meatballs:
- 300g ground turkey
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1tbsp breadcrumbs
- 1tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- For the pizza dough:
- 500g flour
- 7g yeast
- 2tbsp warm milk
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1tbsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- To make the meatballs – mix all the ingredients in a bowl and shape small balls.
- To make the dough – mix the dough ingredients and add warm water as much as needed to make a smooth dough. Knead for about five minutes, cover with a tea towel and leave for about an hour to rise.
- When the dough is ready, roll it out and place in a greased baking tray.
- Spread the tomato sauce and sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Add the peppers, spinach leaves and tomatoes.
- Arrange the turkey meatballs on top. Sprinkle some more Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes or until ready.
Tip: If you use shop-bought dough, you might need to half cook the meatballs before baking the pizza, especially if you make giant ones like me. 🙂 Simply place them in the oven and cook for about 15 minutes. Then you can arrange them on the pizza and bake again.